|/ Nutrition / Recipes|
African American Recipes: Salads, Vegetables, and Side Dishes
• 3 medium yams (1½ cups)
• ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
• 1 teaspoon flour, sifted
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon orange peel
• 1 teaspoon soft tub margarine
• ½ cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
3. Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
4. Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
5. Dot with half the amount of margarine.
6. Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
Each serving contains
Total Fat: 0 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 115 mg
Total Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Potassium: 344 mg
A bit of margarine and some orange juice make this dish sweet.